1. What is MDK Services?
By now you probably know that MDK Services offers bookkeeping, social media management, and modeling/brand ambassador work to clients around the world. But a lot of you ask what do I ACTUALLY do? Basically…
• Monthly bookkeeping services to clients. Record all of their transactions, create financial statements and prepare them for when tax season rolls around.
• I help train people to do their OWN bookkeeping. This comes in the form of my newly launched bookkeeping workbook which includes all you need to know to do your own monthly bookkeeping, templates, and a 25-minute training video teaching you how to use the bookkeeping spreadsheet included.
• I also offer personalized training calls and help people set up their systems via spreadsheets, Sage One or Quickbooks Online.
• Targeted Instagram Growth. I help clients grow their following on Instagram. They create the content and do the posting, I help increase their engagement, likes, and following. My current clients are seeing growth of around 1,000 new followers each month.
• Monthly social media management. This is where I create the content, plan, schedule, and post the images. I create and implement a unique strategy per account, reply to all comments, messages, create ads, graphic images… everything. This can also include newsletters and blog posts if you’d like.
• I also offer personalized training calls to train people how to fully utilize their social media accounts, specifically Instagram. We go from 0-100 covering everything from how to write a good bio to understanding Instagram’s algorithms and getting your content seen.
• COMING SOON! ^^ compiling this training into a short video series that you can download from my website. Is that something you’d be interested in?? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments.
2. How did you get started?
When Migail and I returned from Vietnam, I needed to get a job and I needed to get one fast. I worked as the accountant at a non-profit in Somerset West for the year of 2017 and while it was an amazing experience and I learned A TON (I wouldn’t be able to do what I am doing today without that year experience… God knew and His ways are always perfect), I knew it wasn’t what I was created to do and knew there had to be more to life than sitting behind a desk from 8-5pm, going home and starting it all over the next day. It was seriously making me go CRAZY! Learned a lot about contentment but that’s a post for another day… if you’re interested in reading more, let me know.
Amongst other things, Migail did some building work that year on a farm along the Breede River (about 3 hours away from us). He would go for days at a time which left me with extra time on my hands, and if you know me at all, you’ll know that I will fill that extra time with something!
I started doing my church’s bookkeeping on the side for some extra money. It was great! I loved it! It was difficult to complete along with a full-time job but it got me dreaming about what it would be like to do work like that full-time…
Then the dreams led to action. I started posting some things on my Facebook page letting people know that I wanted to do more part-time bookkeeping on the side if anyone was interested. I was really struggling to enjoy my work and was ready to look for something new. My mom told me to contact one of our old (dear) friends, Kathryn Moorhouse, to see if she could help.
You know how moms are… always wanting to help but sometimes giving suggestions that aren’t actually helpful (love you, Mom!). When she told me to contact Kathryn, I truly didn’t think it would go anywhere but I was desperate and thought “what the heck.”
Kathryn is a Pinterest Strategist for entrepreneurs and has developed an amazingly successful business. She replied to my message with a 20-minute voice note just encouraging me to go for it, telling me how she got started, how amazing it is, and how it’s possible for anyone to do. I literally started tearing up when I read her message, just amazed at how God was bringing us together.
To this day Kathryn is still my biggest encourager and mentor and I wouldn’t be where I am today without her. Thank you, Kathryn.
I went onto her sites and she seemed like she had it all together… it was super overwhelming but she encouraged me that we all start somewhere and you can’t compare where you are now to where someone else already is. Everyone starts as a beginner and they were once in your shoes. So I started, step-by-step:
Step 1: Mig created me a logo. It was kind of a placeholder but it just stuck and to this day, I get regular requests asking who designed my logo for me. (Mig’s the man!).
Step 2: Had my friend, Peach Cronje, help me get some “branding shots.” Shout out to Peachy for my classic headshot that I use everywhere.
Step 3: Created a rate and put my services clearly into words. 1. What services I provide. 2. The rate per service. 3. Linked to my contact info.
Step 4: Created a Facebook Business Page. This was a GAME CHANGER! For months, all of my clients and inquiries came from this page alone (and quite frankly, they still do). You can list all of your services on there, your rates, contact info, everything. It’s free marketing! If you want to start your own business… get on Facebook! Social media is an incredible tool to connect with individuals all around the world.
There is someone out there who needs your services… they just need to find you.
Step 5: I joined a bunch of Facebook groups for virtual workers where you can connect with others around the world doing the same. It’s a great way to get referrals and find new clients.
Step 6: Quit my job and started doing MDK Services full-time! Since then there have been a lot of developments, such as my website, etc. but none of those things were there in the beginning, nor were necessary to get started.
3. Biggest tips
• You have to make yourself vulnerable and put yourself out there (I remember being so shy to list my prices online thinking “what will my friends think?”) No one really cares… just do it!
• Magic happens outside of your comfort zone. Every time I feel nervous or scared about doing something, I get excited because I know it’s going to grow and shape me into something greater.
• Don’t let perfectionism keep you from trying and pursuing your dream! Just start. You can always adjust things as you go.
4. The best thing about freelance?
My favorite thing about freelancing is the ability to create my own schedule and the flexibility that it brings. If I want to do yoga at 10 am in the morning, why not? If I want to take the day off, why not? I can catch up on the work later. I feel like it fully rewards productivity. You reap the benefits of your hard work and energy.
5. Most difficult thing?
The rollercoaster ride of entrepreneurship. Anyone who has started their own business will know exactly what I mean when I say this. Working for yourself is SUPER unpredictable. You can gain a client at the snap of a finger but you can also lose them just as quickly. Just when you think you’ve got it all figured out… watch out!! Something is most likely going to turn the direction soon haha.
God taught me early on (with a little wack over the head) to remain humble, always ask for help when it’s needed, rely on Him for every circumstance, good or bad, and that He will provide my each and every need and will never forsake me. For me, MDK Services is more than making an income and helping others, it’s about becoming more like Christ and bringing Him glory. If that means He takes me through some dirt and times get tough, let’s go. I’m all His and will go where He leads me.
Another challenging aspect and something that I actually miss about working for an organization is how difficult everything seems at times. When you’re at a company and don’t know how to do something, chances are you can shout across the room to your colleague or go to your boss for help and they’ll be able to steer you in the right direction or show you how it’s done. When it comes to freelance, it’s not so simple. When you don’t know how to do something, it can take hours of googling, watching YouTube videos, calling friends to figure out what may be a very simple task. It can get very tiring and be discouraging at times. But hey… when you figure it out, it’s awesome! (hence the rollercoaster ride)
Work-life balance and all that as well but let’s not get into everything here haha…